Outdoors fires are absolutely beautiful especially in the fall. The air is crisp and being outdoors is a fall favorite. When creating a fire outdoors, you definitely need to consider the environment surrounding the fire. Whether you are near your home or in a national forest, you want to ensure the fire will not burn the area. Here are some tips to keep your home and our nature areas safe.
- When selecting a fire pit location make sure you are at least fifteen feet away from tent walls, shrubs, trees, or anything that might catch fire.
- Make sure the pit area is level and clear of debris.
- Make sure the wind spot you have chosen is calm.
- Dig your pit about one foot into the ground and circle the mouth with stones.
- Always remember to check with your campsite or the U.S. Forestry Commission to see if you are allowed to have a fire at the time you plan on camping.
- Make sure that any fire you build is kept low and out of the wind. This will help keep the embers down.
Never for any reason leave a fire unattended or hot. Make sure you pour water on the fire until it stops hissing.
What to do after a fire...
First, you want to ensure someone such as the Fire Marshall has cleared you to enter your home for safety reasons. At this point, you can go through your home to see the damage and possibly gather items you can keep. Second, you want to document everything- damaged items and items that can be restored. Take as many pictures of your home as is for insurance purposes. You may want to take a note pad and write notes while going through your home. If the fire was in one room, you still may have the smoke odor in other rooms. It is important to carefully note this for insurance and restoration companies. Lastly, call a restoration company such as SERVPRO of Dublin, Vidalia, Claxton to come in and help restore your home.
Spring has arrived and summer is upon us, which means it's time to pull out those grills.
SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton would like to share some helpful grilling tips to prevent any fires from occurring while you're enjoying that quality time with family and friends.
1. Keep your grill at least 10 feet away from your home.
2. Clean your grill regularly.
3. Make sure to check for gas leaks.
4. Keep decorations away from the grill.
5. Keep a spray bottle of water handy.
6. Keep a fire extinguisher within a couple of steps of your grill.
1. Turn on the gas while your grill lid is closed.
2. Leave a grill unattended.
3. Overload your grill with food.
4. Use a grill indoors
Spring and Summer Storms
Each year, thunderstorms alone cause approximately $15 billion in property damage. Summer and spring seasons are the most vulnerable to these destructive and frightening storms.
There are several ways to prepare your property for the summer.
1. Always have an emergency kit with these items that you probably already have in your house: flashlight, battery powered weather radio, extra batteries to fit each electronic, non-perishable foods, lots of bottled water, can opener, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, blankets, extra clothes, sturdy shoes or boots, clock or watch, whistle to signal for help, and any important personal items and documents.
2. Know the safest structure of your home to go to during a severe storm such as a basement, underground cellar, or even the most inner part of your home away from windows.
3. Get routine maintenance on your roof and the foundation. Cracks in the roof are the number one leading cause to flooding damage.
4. Cut down any unwanted trees or limbs and get your trees trimmed before summer storm season. Trees and branches can fall on your property and damage the siding, windows, and roof.
5. Contact your insurance company to be more familiar with your policy. Most home insurers do not cover flooding damage.
6. Keep all expensive and favored possessions off the floor and away from low ground in case of flooding.
7. Invest in storm windows.
8. Keep all patio furniture, grills, etc in doors before a summer storm hits. Do not forget to part your vehicles in the garage.
9. If your town is evacuating due to a hurricane, secure and board up windows and any openings of your home.
10. Finally, take those summer storm warnings and alerts seriously, especially tornado and hurricane warnings. Tornadoes and hurricanes can lead to total property loss and even death.
Whether it is a Category 5 hurricane or a bad thunderstorm rolling through, home owners should be prepared for any storm.
Take safety precautions
Any type of heavy winds can cause roof shingles, natural debris, or unnatural debris to occur. After the storm is over, take precaution when going outside because there could be debris such as nails, sharp wood, or other potentially dangerous items that are around your home.
Photograph the damage
If it is major or minor, take pictures IMMEDIATELY. You may not realize that something damaged your home until after you have moved it, so take pictures just in case (there is always the delete button). Insurance companies will need to see before pictures of the damage.
Contact your insurance company… and SERVPRO!
A homeowner must call their insurance company so an adjuster can be sent out to examine the damage so payment can be made.. Don’t forget to call your favorite restoration and mediation company, SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton. We work around the clock to ensure happiness from our community! We will send a team out as quickly as possible to begin work for your home if disaster strikes!
Mold in your home can cause numerous issues. If not treated properly in the early stages, mold damage can become rather expensive. Not to mention, mold can cause various types of health issues. Lucky, we have some tips on how to prevent mold in your home. If you have mold in your home, we provide emergency services 24/7 so please don’t hesitate to give us a call.
Identify problem areas and fix the problems immediately
If you notice your basement flood every time it rains, get it fixed before the mold spreads to other areas in the house.
Dry wet areas immediately
Areas that get wet after a heavy rainfall or even just a spill onto carpet should be dried within 24 to 48 hours. If you experience items that cannot be dried within this time frame, you want to remove the items that cannot be dried- carpet, furniture, bedding.
Direct water away from your home
Ensure that the foundation of your home does not allow for any flooding to seep into your home.
Clean or repair roof gutters
A roof can leak due to clogged gutters. During and after fall, ensure the gutters are free from natural debris such as leaves and twigs. Occasionally, you want to check to make sure the gutters are not blocked by any debris so they work properly.
SERVPRO Services that Help Restaurants to Reopen Doors Quickly
SERVPRO Services that Help Restaurants to Reopen Doors Quickly
Restaurants are some of the most commonly flooded businesses in America, as they are prone to some risk factors that can lead to significant water and flood damage year-round. Many restaurants that are located near rivers, creeks, lakes, or shores, making them vulnerable to heavy rainfalls which cause banks to overflow. Restaurants also have high amounts of water usage as compared to other businesses, which can lead to more interior and clear water flooding than in other commercial establishments. Fortunately, SERVPRO knows how to get a restaurant's doors back open as quickly as possible after these damages, through a few key services.
Inventory and Stock Management
One of the most difficult tasks to accomplish alone after commercial water damage is to take inventory of what has been lost, damaged, or left alone in the building. Everything from furniture to valuable kitchen equipment to food stock can be accounted for and should be, for insurance purposes. SERVPRO can help you to keep track of your losses and get proper repayment from an insurer after the event is said and done.
Rapid Restoration Services
We have access to a wide variety of powerful tools and machines to help accelerate the process of water removal and restoration, including high-powered air movers, water extractors, deodorizing foggers, UV sanitizers, and more. When used strategically, these machines help businesses to open doors quicker than expected after even the worst water damage.
Cohesive Teams and Helpful Policies
We strive to ensure that a restaurant owner understands the process of restoration and can talk to our teams and representatives. Also, our staff is assembled in a way that encourages cohesiveness and cooperation. This also extends to our "white collar" representatives, who can present documentation to insurance adjusters and regulators with maximum efficacy.
SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton is a trusted local source of commercial repairs and restorations. Contact us at (912) 538-1323 for our help with your disaster in inconvenience.
Water Damage Prevention
You can’t always prevent harm from coming your way. Sometimes disaster strikes and accidents happen. Some things, however, you can control. Giving these potential problem areas in your house some extra attention will help keep you and your home safe and dry!
Your Windows! Regardless of the season, a drafty window can end up costing you a fortune! To check for drafts in your home, use a lit candle against windows. If the flame flickers as you run it along the seams then you may need to reseal your windows
Your Plants! Plants both in and around your home can be a problem if they are not properly maintained. In an effort to avoid the growth of mold or mildew on your property simply make sure that your garden areas have adequate drainage, and that you are trimming plants around the structure.
Your Gutters! As tedious as it may be, keeping your gutters clean is really going to help keep your home safe from costly water or mold damages. Cleaning out and inspecting your gutters regularly as well as keeping downspouts clear of any blockages will help keep the structure draining properly.
If you do find yourself dealing with the troubles of water damage in your home, give SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton a call at 478-275-4504. We’re available 24 hours a day to clean up the damage and restore your property. We will make your home look "Like it never even happened."
Every Second Counts When It Comes To Restoring Your Property
Every Second Counts When It Comes To Restoring Your Property
Fire damage, no matter the size, can affect every square inch of your property. It can travel through air ducts, burn through ceilings and floors, and damage countless pieces of equipment and documents.
SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton has access to thousands of pieces of equipment and hundreds of personnel to help mitigate even the largest fire damage. Our experienced technicians utilize industry knowledge, training, experience, high-tech equipment, and proprietary cleaning products to perform emergency services to meet our customer’s cleaning and restoration needs.
Performed immediately following a loss in order to reduce property and content damage, our emergency services reduce claims’ expense, and minimize customer disruption.
While the types of emergency services we provide vary, our emergency response includes:
- Boarding up the structure and securing the property to help prevent intrusions.
- Drying the structure. Water is often used to extinguish a fire, so excess water or moisture must be monitored and removed.
- Deodorization of the affected areas.
- Pre-testing and initial cleaning. Initial cleaning may help prevent additional damage caused by soot residue, and pre-testing allows the technician to determine what can be restored to help eliminate needless and costly expenses.
- Conducting building inspections to evaluate the loss site for any safety or health hazards.
Call SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton for all your Fire Restoration needs!
If you have ever had a weather related emergency, such as a flood, tree fall, pipe burst you may have experienced the frustration of calling for help only to find you would be put on a list and gotten to when you’re gotten to. If you have not had a weather or event related issue at your home or business, good. If you ever do, here’s a few things to keep in mind:
1) Everyone you reach out to, whether a plumber, tree company or SERVPRO wants to help you and as quickly as possible.
2) When an area is affected, whether by a microburst, hurricane or deep freeze, the damage is common. In other words, if your pipes freeze when the temperature drops from 40 to seven over a 24 hour period, the same thing is happening all around you.
3) Immediate response resources in an area are always limited. Your plumber of 15 years can not hire additional crews overnight, as much as he would like to.
So when this occurs, it pays to Go Big.
At SERVPRO of Dublin/Vidalia/Claxton, our first question is always: Is the source fixed or do you need help fixing the source? No job is to big or small for our crew of certified and highly trained experts! When it comes to your property, home, or business you can depend on SERVPRO to get the job done, and done right! We have the resources for all trades and labor and can properly and efficiently handle any job no matter the size!
A brand you can trust, a company you can depend on!
Whether its factory fire, burst water heater or a tree on a house, We are Ready for Whatever Happens and Are Always Here to Help!